Monday, December 8, 2008

Pot Beans

Mexican night is always fun at our house, we serve Pot Beans with rice and homemade flour tortillas. When my husband and I were first married we were on a fixed budget and couldn't go out to eat a lot, that's when I decided to learn to cook! My husband LOVES Mexican food and I couldn't live without Asian cuisine so that's where I started and I've slowly grown my recipe collection in these two areas. My brother served his mission in Honduras and he said that these beans remind him of his mission. Note that there is a lot of prep time because you have to soak the beans, but the overall recipe is very easy. You can take it another step and make refried beans...yummy!

2 c. dried black, pinto or pink beans (we usually have pinto on hand)
2 1/2 quarts water (10 c.)
3 Tbsp. lard or bacon drippings (okay, who has lard on hand? I just save the drippings from our breakfast bacon)
1 fresh cilantro sprig (I have also used dried cilantro...just sprinkled a little in)
2 tsp. salt
3 Serrano chili peppers (very similar to jalapeno peppers)

Pick over and discard any damaged beans or stones. Rinse the beans under cold running water and place in a bowl. Add water to cover by 2 inches and let soak for at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours.

Discard any beans that are floating, then drain the beans and place in a large, heavy pot. Add the 2 1/2 quarts water, onion and lard or drippings and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and boil until the beans are tender, 1 1/2-2 hours. Make sure the beans are always well covered with water, adding more hot water as needed.

When the beans are tender, add the cilantro, salt and chilies. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes longer. Discard the herb sprig and chilies. Adjust the seasoning, then serve with rice and homemade flour tortillas, or make into refried beans.

No comments: